Job Search Resources

from Celine Chen

As a senior, post-graduate job and internship searching has been almost a 5th class for me given that amount of time and effort I’m putting into it. I wanted to reflect a bit about my experience job-searching and share some important resources Bryn Mawr has to offer that can make the process a little less daunting.

The Career and Professional Development Office

Our Career and Professional Development (CPD) Office is open Monday-Friday 2-5 PM and Monday-Thursday 7:30-9:30 PM for career advice, resume/cover letter reviews, and so much more. There’s really no excuse when there are so many available hours for you to take some time to make sure your cover letter and resumes are ready to go.

Handshake

Handshake is our CPD resource where job postings are located, and where you can set up appointments with career peers, CPD staff, view upcoming career-related events, and more. The job postings on Handshake are particularly helpful because they are often coming from recruiters that reached out to Bryn Mawr and are looking for Bryn Mawr students to work for them. It’s always helpful to say that you found a job position through your college’s Career and Professional Development website when applying to jobs!

Take advantage of Campus Events

The College is constantly holding career and professional development events that are great opportunities to network and learn more about your field of interest. In my first month back on campus I’ve attended “She Started It!” an event featuring women in entrepreneurship, “Invest in Her Future” an investment management career panel, and participated in an on-campus interview with a national bank. There are many more opportunities to learn about a variety of career paths, whether its networking with Google or Amazon, an information session on Harvard law school, or learning more about the Peace Corps.

Consider taking “Intensives”

Bryn Mawr offers “intensives,” or mini CPD courses, during school breaks that allow you to practice career and professional development. The intensives take place during at the end of summer and winter break and during fall and spring break. They are typically five days long and comprised of 9-5 days learning to network and develop your skills. I’ve participated in two intensives in my college career and although they are intense, I have left with a great appreciation for how much I learned in those five days. The topics of some of the intensives change from year to year but some of them include: Entrepreneurship Intensive, Job and Grad School Boot Camp, Leadership Development Intensive, Women in Data Science, and more.