Choosing Classes

From Andrea Lirio

As the fall semester slowly comes to an end, students at Bryn Mawr start planning for spring classes, which run from late January to late April. While the process is stressful, there are many opportunities to meet with deans, THRIVE mentors, peer mentors, and professors to discuss potential courses and majors that you’re interested in pursuing.

What really makes the course registration process so difficult is the number of courses we have to choose from! There are so many course options at Bryn Mawr, especially with the consortium! As a student at Bryn Mawr, I can enroll in classes at Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and the University of Pennsylvania. Bryn Mawr makes it easy to enroll and simple to get to each school with the Blue Bus to Haverford College and Swarthmore College and a convenient location near the SEPTA train line to the University of Pennsylvania. Check out our Instagram stories to see how easy it is!

Being at a liberal arts college, you have the ability to study so many subjects – arts, biological and physical sciences, social sciences, humanities, language, mathematics, literature, etc. Bryn Mawr also encourages students to take at least one Quantitative Methods, Critical Interpretation, Cross Cultural, Inquiry into the Past, Scientific Investigation, and foreign language course. These make up most of our requirements which can be found here.

While I didn’t appreciate it at first, having to fulfill the graduation requirements forces me to take classes out of my comfort zone, which I’m actually grateful for. Without the graduation requirements, I couldn’t see myself taking a math, science, or language course. I’m glad Bryn Mawr encourages us to take courses in different fields; I believe all of my course work will add to a more well-rounded background and education that I can apply to my future career.

Overall, everyone is extremely supportive and helpful throughout the course registration process. If you have any questions, both students and faculty are open and willing to help. Bryn Mawr provides a great support system to explore majors, a diverse mix of courses, and forces students to go out of their comfort zone and take courses within different fields.

Without further ado, my schedule!

Spring 2019 course schedule

I am guilty of picking classes that are later in the day from 11 AM or 12 PM. It’s really important for me to be able to get enough sleep! I also strongly believe in getting breakfast every day so I make sure I always have time for it. I think this schedule is perfect for me. I like having heavier days at the beginning of the week and lighter days toward the end. I’m really happy with my schedule!

Spanish – Advanced Grammar Through Culture: This semester, I took Intermediate Spanish for the language requirement. Next semester, I’m hoping to fulfill the requirement through the next level course.

Economics – Introduction to Economics: Hoping to be an International Studies major, I’m planning to take the Introduction to Economics course to do an overview and prepare for more advanced courses. Afterward, I’m hoping to take more in-depth courses like Economic Development, Labor Economics!

Anthropology – Introduction to Cultural Anthropology: This semester, my ESEM involved many ethnography readings, which I really enjoyed. I’m hoping to learn more about anthropology and add a course that goes toward the International Studies major.

Urban Studies – Research Methods: After taking the Introduction to Urban Studies class this semester, I’m interested in learning more about research methods. I’m interested in learning more about statistics and data in an applied setting. This also counts toward my QM requirement!

2 thoughts on “Choosing Classes